Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Let's Start Simple

Over the past year, my recipes have grown increasingly complex, but as I've stated in my musings, simple is always good too. Let's start with a basic meal from what's around Wisconsin this week. After a very busy day for both Beo and I, I needed something easy and quick for dinner. So we did a very simple salad and bread. The lettuce, tomatoes and carrots were all harvested from our garden. The lettuce and carrots are still around this week. Tomatoes have been gone for some time, but Beo harvested what green 'maters were left when he took the vines down and turned the gardens under. They've just started ripening up this week. I topped the salad with Morningstar Farms Chik'n Strips I found in the back of the freezer. We've actually stopped purchasing these, but they're a great topper for stir frys and salads. We've switched to tempeh now-a more organic, less processed option. We had our salad with sourdough bread that Beo made over the weekend. For the kids, the meal was easily modified to a side salad, grilled cheese on sourdough with organic cheese from the Farmer's Market, and ketchup to dip their chik'n strips in. Incidentally, they're just as happy to eat the healthier tempeh that we now normally have instead. An omnivore friendly household could obviously just top this meal with a locally pastured organic option. Dessert was fresh pears from a local orchard. The pears weren't organic, but grown with IPM techniques. We've been learning more about this method this year. Organic fruit is tough here in Wisconsin, and IPM is a good option. I do have a mission to visit the one certified organic orchard in the state though, and will post about it in the future if all goes well. This was a was a very filling meal, and pleasantly fresh for October!

2 Comments:

Blogger Maddy Avena said...

What is the story with difficulty growing organic pears in WI? And the method by which your pears were grown: what did you call it? Your dinner sounds lovely and I second the Tempeh over the MSF isolated soy protein, GMO fare.

I got this amazing book: the Mediterranean Vegan Kitchen last week and since so much of my garden is Mediterranean climate crops: 'maters, basil, garlic, onions, arugula, other greens (chard, tree collards), etc, it is an amazing gift of a book. I've made 7 things from it already and I've only had it a week!
I'm still harvesting ripe and ready tomatoes, but it's shifting to picking them a little underripe so they don't rot on the vine. We had one brief rain and that makes these still very dense plants succeptible to mold.
Cook on, sister!

9:29 PM  
Blogger Mia said...

There's only one certified organic orchard in Wisconsin. I guess up in the far north around the lakes it's a little easier, but the climate here apparently makes it challenging. We bought organic apples from a very local place, but there were worm issues. They were fine, if a little gross, for cooking, but not so much for eating. IPM is Integrated Pest Management. It involved assessing the orchard carefully to use the minimum chemicals necessary. I'll do a post about it later.

5:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home